Surrogacy is a medical procedure that gives new hope to couples without children who have failed in all attempts to have children naturally or through treatment. This means that a child is born by another woman, who is called a surrogate mother. The entire procedure is contractually regulated. India has recently become a first-class destination for surrogacy, with childless couples from all over the world who come here to seek the joy of having their own baby. In fact, the first surrogate baby was born in 1994 in India. However, commercial surrogacy was not legalized until 2002 by the Supreme Court.
Overview of Surrogacy in India
India has become a popular destination for medical tourism, with people from all corners of the world who frequent the country for the treatment of medical conditions, including surrogacy. Popularized as “renting a womb”, commercial surrogacy in India is increasing mainly due to the lower costs involved compared to other nations. According to statistics, about 1,500 surrogacy births took place in the country in 2010, adding those of Indian and international couples.
The process of surrogacy implies a contractual relationship between the couple and the surrogate mother, who must deliver the baby and surrender the baby to the intended couples for a certain amount of money. After childbirth, the surrogate mother has no right or claim over the child, but the child will remain the citizen of the country of his or her birth, even if the couple is a native of another country. In case there is a donor involved, the name will not be revealed and the child’s birth certificate will bear the name of the custodial parents. The name of the surrogate mother will not appear anywhere on the birth certificate. The regularization and legalization of surrogacy in India have played an important role in attracting couples without children both inside and outside the country.
Types of surrogacy in India
There are two basic types of surrogacy options in India- Gestational and Traditional surrogacy
- Traditional Surrogacy:
In traditional surrogacy, women conceive through fresh or frozen sperm or impregnated through IUI (intrauterine insemination) or ICI (intracervical insemination) performed at a health clinic.
- Gestational Surrogacy:
With this procedure, the mother is not genetically related to the child. Gestational surrogacy requires the implantation of a previously generated embryo. For this reason, the process always takes place in a clinical environment.
Legal Issues of Surrogacy in India
Before the surrogacy relationship is established between the intended parents and the surrogate, it is necessary to sign a surrogacy contract defining the procedures, expenses, and legal parental rights. Legal concerns are of the utmost importance while pursuing surrogacy.
Factors contributing to making India the best for surrogate treatment
The following factors contribute to making India a popular destination for surrogacy:
- Meticulous and rigorous criteria for choosing surrogate mothers
- Surrogates are between 21 and 35 years old, are married and have a history of normal birth and healthy babies
- A detailed check of the personal, medical and family background information is carried out.
- The history of blood transfusions and any form of addiction is also verified.
- The obstetric history of surrogates is also thoroughly verified to ensure that you have not had a history of repeated miscarriages, or any type of postnatal and prenatal complications in previous births.
- The surrogate mother and her partner are examined for infectious diseases, sexually transmitted diseases, hepatitis, etc.
- Thalassemia screening is also performed. A detailed pelvic ultrasound is performed and other tests of uterine receptivity are performed to guarantee maximum chances of success.
- A detailed financial and legal agreement is then established between the surrogate mother and the couple in charge.
In India, a surrogate is considered a high-risk pregnancy that is attended by 2 gynecologists consultants in the hospital. India has a success rate of 45% in the case of fresh embryos. In the case of frozen embryos, the success rate is around 25%. Such a high success rate and low medical costs are the main reasons why India is the preferred destination for the surrogacy treatment that couples around the world choose.
Since the study revealed that surrogacy success rate is high in India.This is due to:
- Country’s excellent medical infrastructure run by highly qualified & experienced doctors.
- The ready availability of surrogate mother: The success rate is higher and affordable as there are poor surrogate mothers who are generously compensated for every successful pregnancy. Typically, surrogacy clinics combine infertile couples with local women. Once successful impregnated, these women are housed, fed & medically care by clinics medical staff.
- International demand for babies through surrogacy in India is increasing as clinics in India have acquired the latest surrogate mother’s medical equipment and nutritional supplements to ensure that all pregnancies are successful.
International patients flow for surrogacy is increased in India not only for high success rate but also for cost-effective treatment.
Best surrogacy center in India
The following below are some of the best surrogacy centers in India
- Infertility India
A well-known fertility center spread out across the nation via it’s five fully-fledged clinics, Infertility India is a name to trust upon. It has been providing its services since the last 20 years making themselves one of the most experienced on the block.
- L H Hiranandani Hospital
The most renowned IVF and surrogacy service provider, dr. LH Hiranandani Hospital shines throughout his term. Dr. L H Hiranandani Hospital is part of the Hiranandani Group and located in Mumbai.
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital
BLK Super Specialty Hospital is located in Delhi, this surrogacy clinic is equipped with modern tools together with the best professionals. The greatest care to facilitate the need of patients is what has made BLK Super Specialty Hospital the best option for many.
- Virk Center for Human Reproduction
Located in the rapidly growing city of Jalandhar, the Virk Center for Human Reproduction is a well-known clinic for subrogation services in northern India. It is an excellent choice for people looking for a ray of hope in lieu of infertility. Offers services related to ICSI, IUI, IVF, hatching, sperm recovery and more.
Despite the long drawn out processes of surrogacy, it is still a satisfying option for many couples in India. However, finding a suitable surrogate is easy when you make use of Infertility treatment facilitator like Elawoman https://www.elawoman.com/ which provides personal service and assistance to each and every intended parent. To even know more about surrogacy in India you can check their website for more information https://www.elawoman.com/india/surrogacy.